Monday, January 21, 2008

President's Challenge Update


Week 2 is complete!

My weight was 197.6 and my body fat was 15.2% so running total for 2 weeks is an increase of 2 pounds on the scale, a drop of 0.1% body fat. This may not sound like a lot, but my lean mass has increased by 2 pounds in 2 weeks.

The important thing to remember with this in following and running a good program, is that it is not what the scale says. If I were to go by the scale, I wouldn't know if the weight that I have gained was fat, or muscle, or even if the program is working. I know that in order to increase my metabolism, I have to have a couple of weeks where I put lean mass on, and that means I might even gain weight. However it is interesting to know that 1 pound of lean muscle can burn 30 to 50 extra calories a day at rest, and when that muscle is working, it is burning even more. So lets just say the first part of any program should be the metabolism overhaul! It is frustrating to me when clients feel that they have to lose weight on the scale fast when they start a program.

Our program is designed to increase metabolism, and in order to do
that some amount of lean mass needs to be put on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! You're an inspiration to us all!!! :)

Rebecca and Nick Ballstaedt said...

It is interesting to know that when you are dieting and exercising right that the initial scale drop is never as much as you would anticipate. This is why most dieters give up with in the first few weeks of their program but when you enlist professional assistance and the knowlege that comes with that it makes more sense that there is a grace period when your body puts on muslce mass enabeling your body to burn fat more efficiently when the time comes for that. Loosing body fat is a progression not an instant gratification.